Dear SMPS Families,
Happy Lent everybody! It is a wonderful time of year for us to work on this year’s school theme, Walking With Jesus. We have been having discussions lately about how we can embrace the 3 Pillars of Lent: Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving, and how that will allow us to Walk With Jesus, preparing ourselves for the celebration of the Resurrection of the lord on Easter. Lent is about letting Jesus change us so that we can follow Him more closely, so the kids have been thinking about how they can Fast and Give Alms as children. If you are interested in activities that can be done at home for Lent and Easter, these are my go to websites for good ideas and activities: catholicicing.com and catholicmom.com.
There are several dates to be noted in March:
- The first Friday of the month, March 6, is a Professional Development day for the teachers and so there is no school for students that day.
- Friday, March 13 marks the end of the Second Trimester for students. Students are continuing to work hard and have hands-on fun while learning the curriculum. One of the things I love the best about my job is getting to routinely see children happily engaged in their learning!
- Monday, March 16 is the Bishop’s Day off from school.
- Tuesday, March 17 is the Strings Concert at 6 pm at St. John Paul II Auditorium featuring our SMPS strings students. All are invited to attend and support their efforts.
- Saturday, March 28 will be our annual Easter Egg Hunt. The time and more information will be communicated as we get closer to the event.
- Saturday, April 4 is the Oddball 2020, our Annual Auction and Gala. All are invited to attend. Check the Blue and Gold for details.
I wish you and your families a prayerful and holy Lenten season and will end with a final thought in a quote from Elisabeth Elliot: “It is when we come to the Lord in our nothingness, our powerlessness and our helplessness that He then enables us to love in a way which, without Him, would be absolutely impossible.”
Principal, St. Margaret Primary School